Monday, September 3, 2007

My day in Shinjuku

Yesterday I spent most of the day in Shinjuku. Aproximately 6 hours out of that was spent in one store okadaya. This store is a crafters dream. In the first building there are 5 stories of fabrics. I honestly only made it to the second floor I had already spent more than enough money at that point and my friends daughter needed to stretch her legs and get something to eat. Needless to say it wasn't this piece of fruit that we ate $40 for a melon is a bit excessive and im not really sure that this is a melon.


So we walked around until we found a resturant with actual tables (Id say 90% of the resturants in that area have counters you eat at which dosen't work when you have a 3 year old in tow)



I wanted to take a Photo of this massive intersection while people were crossing it but by the time I got out my camera and turned it on the light had turned and the pedestrians had cleared. Instead I got a shot of a much smaller intersection nearby.
The side streets arent that bad (for the most part) but on some of the main streets if you stop in the flow of foot traffic you will cause turmoil espically if you are anywhere within 3 blocks of the train station near rush hour.


After Getting some lunch we went back to okadaya this time we ventured into the second building. This building was dedicated entirely to tidbits. Anything you might use to embelish something. There were 7 stories in this part of the store and it was amazing. There were beads buttons sequins leather ribbon I wish I had gotten to take photos but I wasnt sure if it was ok or not since there was a sign on the bathroom door with a picture of all sorts of cameras crossed out it may have only applied to the bathroom but I didn't want to risk it. Hopefully next time ill bring my more fluent friend and she can ask for me.


On our way back to the trains I managed to get this photo. Without causing too much havoc.



1 comment:

kitkabbit said...

ehh that fruit is the scary and infamous durian!!! so envious you got to yuzawaya and otsukaya! we are planning a trip in october and i'm saving a lot of suitcase space for fabric, haha!